Moccasin Lake Environmental Education Center To Close For Renovations And Upgrades
Moccasin Lake Environmental Education Center is a 51-acre gem in the middle of Clearwater featuring trails and boardwalks surrounded by nature and wildlife. To keep the park bright and beautiful for visitors, the city is making some much needed improvements and upgrades. To do this, Moccasin Lake will close to the public on March 15 and reopen in October 27, 2018. The total cost of the project is $935,000, of which $200,000 is paid for through a matching grant from the Florida Department of Environmental Protection, Land and Water Conservation Fund.
Renovations will include a complete remodel of the interior spaces of the interpretive center including air conditioning for the entire building, upgraded space for the birds of prey volunteers, and public restrooms. New static displays and live animals will be on display once completed.
Moccasin Lake is a 51-acre nature preserve with trails and boardwalks under a canopy of mature oaks and across ponds and creeks, with an array of wildlife including gopher turtles, raccoons, and many birds. It is home to several injured birds of prey. The park offers classes, programs, camps and meeting/reception rentals with both indoor and outdoor meeting space. Volunteer opportunities are available. Now accepting applications for science and environmental contract instructors. Please call (727) 793-2976 or (727) 742-0600 for information.
For more information about orienteering:
2750 Park Trail Ln.
Clearwater, FL 33759-2602
Voice: (727) 793-2976
Fax: (727) 793-2978
- Thursday - Saturday: 10:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
(Trails close to new visitors at 4:15 p.m.)
- Sunday: 12:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
(Trails close to new visitors at 3:15 p.m.)
- Closed All City Recognized Holidays
Days & Times are subject to change
No pets permitted inside the park with the exception of guide or
- 1 & 1/4 mile of natural and board walked trails
- 3-acre watershed restoration area
- 2 natural gas grills
- 5-acre lake
- 51-acre nature preserve
- ADA-accessible facility
- Bird walks, bird-watching tours and workshops
- Captive, permanently injured, non-releasable wildlife
- Club websites:
- Environmental programs and classes
- Gift counter
- Guided tours and group hikes
- Interactive educational displays
- Live wildlife exhibits including:
- Aquatic wildlife
- Birds of prey
- Butterfly garden
- Plants, native plants, and poisonous plants displays
- Reptiles & amphibians
- Multi-use classroom and meeting hall
- Native wildlife, fauna, and flora along the trails, including American Alligators, Great Egrets, Green Anoles, Ospreys and butterflies
- Nature interpretive center
- Night hikes
- On-site and off-site presentations
- Picnic pavilion / shelters
- Rental facilities
- Scouting badge workshops
- Scouting Eagle and Gold projects welcome
- Static displays
- Volunteer opportunities and training
- Water fountains
- MUCH MORE!
Call (727) 793-2976 for questions regarding Moccasin Lake Environmental Education Center.