Provide a continuum of services to improve the quality of life, through specialized programs and inclusive recreation opportunities.
Vision for the Future
A community of people connected by play, opportunity, and life pursuits
Through our programs we strive to:
- Provide education through leisure opportunities
- Reduce depression, stress, anxiety
- Develop self esteem through participation
- Provide emotional and social support to participants and their support system
- Increase community involvement
- Adapt activities as necessary, to ensure the success of participant
- Special Olympic Training Programs at City of Facilities include:
- Swim Team – Tuesday and Thursday Evenings – April through September at the Long Center
- Soccer – Wednesday Evenings – January through May at the Long Center
- Basketball – days/ times/ location vary – October through December
- State and Local Coaches Trainings – throughout the year
- If you are interested in participating in any Special Olympic Sports programs, please contact the Special Olympics Office at firstname.lastname@example.org . Downloadable athlete and volunteer forms coming soon.
Beach Wheelchairs are available at the Main Guard station at Pier 60 or you may ask any lifeguard tower for assistance in retrieving one between the hours of 9:30am - 4pm. The Beach Wheelchairs are on a first come basis.
Fishing, Hunting and Paddling for individuals with disabilities
For information on hunting, fishing, and paddling trail accessible resources in the state of Florida, please check with Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.
Sunshine Limitless Playground
Located at the Long Center
1501 N. Belcher Rd.
The Sunshine Limitless Playground was completed in July of 2006. The playground is 70% accessible. Play components to were designed to meet a wide variety of play needs for children of all abilities. The many facets of the playground include musical instruments, ramped play structure, sensory butterfly garden, elevated sand tables, and more. Park also has a grill and covered picnic area. Picnic area is on a first come basis.
Interested in the learning how to swim, exercise or participate in competition? Various programs are available at City of Clearwater facilities.
Clearwater Adaptive Aquatics Team practices on Tuesday and Thursday evenings from 7pm - 8pm from May through September they do offer the opportunity for athletes to participate and compete in Special Olympics.
For more information you may contact the Long Center at 793-2320.
Private Swim Lessons - For persons with disabilities
30 minute class - By Appointment Only
In addition to our current swim lessons, the City of Clearwater is proud to offer a choice for parents of children with disabilities. Private swim lessons are now being offered. If you are interested in small group lessons please let us know. 793-2320 ext. 107
Whether just moving into the area or long time resident some helpful resources, more specific resources are available.
- Clearwater Challenger Little League - 727-441-9047, or e-mail ClearwaterChallengerBaseball@gmail.com
- Pinellas County Special Olympics - 727-462-1556, or e-mail SOPinellas@aol.com
- NICHCY - National Dissemination Center for Children with Disabilities
- United Cerebral Palsy
- Family Network on Disabilities of Florida
- National Center on Accessibility
- National Down Syndrome Society
- Center for Autism and Related Disabilities at University of South Florida
- Autism Society
- ADA Information Line - voice 800-514-0301/tdd 800-514-0383
- Florida Spinal Cord Injury Resource Center
- Florida Diagnostic & Learning Resource System
- Disability Achievement Center – 727-539-7550
- Florida Challenger Baseball Jamboree – First weekend of May at the Countryside Recreation Sports Complex
- Make a Difference Fishing Tournament for Children with Disabilities – First Saturday of October at Pier 60
- Make a Difference Fishing Tournament for Adults with Disabilities – First Saturday of November at Pier 60